Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Ready To Roll


My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. Amen.
Thomas Merton

On June 14, Lindsay and I embark on a 10-week journey across the United States (and Canada!) in a Toyota Prius that our good friend Mike Smith has generously allowed us to borrow. The stars have aligned to give us the Time and resources for this pilgrimage: my summer was extended about 10 days due to CA state budget cuts (furlough days!), Lindsay has achieved her 3000 client hours and is now in the final stage of her licensure process (studying for the MFT this Fall) and the lease for our apartment is up so we can take the few items we own and put them in storage for the summer.

We love driving together. We took our first roadtrip in January 2005 for our honeymoon (Carmel, Mendocino, Kern River) and we've made annual journeys since. This one will be unique. We are traveling to see some old friends and meet new ones. We will be seeing some amazing sights, going for runs in the city and in the wilderness, floating rivers and eating good food!

However, we are particularly interested in visiting radical discipleship communities that are thriving in different places throughout North America. Our mentors Ched Myers and Elaine Enns are connecting us with many of these communities and we look forward to hearing their stories. Some of these our Catholic Worker Houses of hospitality compelled by the vision of Dorothy Day and Peter Maurin. Some of them are rooted in the movement known as "new monasticism." Some of them are devoted to specific causes like racial reconcilation, restorative justice, the prophetic denunciation of nuclear weaponry and drone killings, solidarity with the urban poor, sanctuary for immigrants and protecting the oppressed and abused. We have been involved in intentional Christian communities ("house church") for the past 6 years and we'd like to learn from the vast wisdom and experience of these prophetic leaders and organizers.

We look forward to documenting this "once in a lifetime" trip on this blog. Feel free to comment or email us recommendations along the way...we are always looking for new adventures!!!

1 comment: